Procedures to Help Prevent and Control COVID-19
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19 infection. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, DOH always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, which include:
- Wear a mask at all times. While the mask is on, be sure to cover mouth and nose; avoid touching mask once it’s on.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand rub or sanitizer with at least 70% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Maintain the 1 – 2 meter social distancing.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Seek medical attention if you experience flu-like symptoms such as fever, runny nose, headache, cough, sore throat and difficulty in breathing. Doctor’s advice such as test/s for COVID-19, quarantine period, etc. should be strictly followed.
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing, and sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Stay hydrated. Every time you feel your throat is dry, do not wait, keep water in hand.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray, alcohol or wipes.
- If you become sick while travelling, inform airline/airport crew and seek medical care early and share previous travel history with the doctor.
Other reminders while at home to stay healthy and fit:
- Practice personal hygiene.
- Have a healthy diet.
- Eat plenty of fruits such as oranges, grapes, bananas, apples, etc., and vegetable such as carrots, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, ginger, onion, etc.
- Properly prepare and store food. Wash and cook your food thoroughly.
- Have adequate rest at least 8 hours of sleep.
- Physical and mental exercise is encouraged.
- Keep your home clean and disinfect high-touched surfaces such as door knobs, light switches, mobile phones, remote controls, kitchen and bath surfaces, etc.